The Black and White Years is an Austin-based indie art rock band. The original three members met at college in Nashville, forming the band in 2006 and adding one member later. The band was discovered at SXSW in 2007 by Talking Heads and Modern Lovers member Jerry Harrison. Harrison offered to produce the band’s debut LP. Since then, they’ve been busy gathering devoted fans with their complex, dancy sound, ranging from slow grooves to tracks that are downright anthemic. When they released Strange Figurines in 2014, their first new album since 2010, Rolling Stone premiered the title track.
Check ’em out at SXSW:
- 3/11 – 5th Annual Good Danny’s & The Navigational Society Day Party Unofficial SXSW Showcase @ Empire Control Room and Garage (4:30 p.m.)
- 3/12 – iHear Radio Day Party @ Empire Control Room (1:45 p.m.)
- 3/12 – Modern Outside SX Showcase @ Parish Underground (10:00 p.m.)
- 3/13 – Solid Gold PR Day Party @ Cheer Up Charlies (3:40 p.m.)
- 3/14 – Soundcloud Day Party @ Waller Creek Boathouse (3:00 p.m.)